Friday, October 22, 2010

The use of the right word

Maybe it is a sign of aging, but I am increasingly becoming aware of the inappropriate use of certain words. When I was doing my under graduate degree my supervisor was a chap called Peter Callery. One thing that sticks in my head is his criticism of how I attempted to make my writing some how more ‘academic’ by the selective use of big words – as I progressed down my academic career I realised how right he was.

Dr. Callery really disliked the word ‘utilise’; I would have a sentence like

In this paper we utilise the following approaches….

His preference was the word ‘use’ – simple, correct and far more readable. I later found out his first degree was actually in English Language!

So, to the point, what word is bothering me this week?

Well, should you ‘use’ insane or inane?

I guess that depends on the sentence, but generally you hear people, objects (e.g. cars, journeys, buildings, etc) or even policies being described as insane – the definition of which is

not sane; not of sound mind; mentally deranged.

of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a person who is mentally deranged: insane actions; an insane asylum.

utterly senseless: an insane plan.

The word you hear less frequently is inane, definition –

lacking sense, significance, or ideas; silly: inane questions. 
empty; void.
something that is empty or void, esp. the void of infinite space. 
So, in real terms people are doing exactly the same as my ‘utilise’ experience, they are using a word inappropriately. The next time you want to be clever, just replace the incorrect ‘insane’, with the more apt ‘inane’, you’ll feel and look much more smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment