Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Spoilt for choice?

It is rapidly approaching that time again, the local council elections. They come around as quick as the rates demand - far too quickly! Unlike the UK the local elections are not, well in any transparent way, party political. I haven't figured why this is. The candidates are a pretty rag tag selection (even if I say so myself), This time we have not one but two used car dealers, which is a bit of a worry - aren't they as untrustworthy as real estate agents?

Until recently Rotorua had a ward based system, where the councilors represented specific sections of the community; with this you knew what you got, and frankly I was happy with my three. At least two were locally born and bred and they stood up for us, something that could not be said for a certain town based lady and the current mayor, both of whom attempted to place a youth justice detention centre (it wasn't a prison, honest, and they only put murderers there whilst they are on bail). Anyway, that's gone - now we have a pick and mix scenario; will some of those standing truly represent my community?

So, character assassination time - who to vote for, and of course who not to! I am of course fully aware that by expressing my opinions I could influence people the other way - so what, that's democracy, aye?

NB the names have been removed to protect the innocent and also prevent liable action.

Let's start with the mayor - pretty obvious here. The current mayor is pleasant enough, I've enjoyed many a pleasant chin wag with him, but has he really achieved a great deal? The cynic (that's me) has a feeling he got reelected on the strength of feeling following the abhorrent events surrounding Nia Glassie. He hasn't done anything wrong, but then again he hasn't really done much else. Next is the local hill billy from up the Mamaku's. This deluded old fellow is frequently in the letters page of the Daily Post, raving about how bad Maori are, scathing of treaty settlements and generally being tedious. Last time he polled around 1000 votes, this time I predict less, as most of his voters will, well to put it simply, have curled up their toes. The last contender is one of our North Ward, who now lives in town. Judging by the placement of his banners he has the Maori vote (the current mayors posters seem to be on the white, middle class, business owners properties). Will he get in - an outside bet I'd say; people here seem 'conservative' to say the least.

The councilors also feature a pretty eclectic bunch - there are one or two that I feel are very credible, but several that are very dubious. There is one lady with clear links to the Sensible Sentencing Trust (her husband is also standing for regional council) - having seen the furore re. ACT earlier today they can forget my vote. So can the woman who wanted the Kaharoa Prison - nasty piece of work that one is!! Then there is the candidate with the big hotel near government gardens, the CEO of the Chamber of Commerce and numerous other business types, generally with grey hair and white skin (not being racist, just demonstrating the stereotype) - maybe the blue of their posters indicates a slight alegiance to a certain political party? These are balanced with the older, Maori, female, usually pretty affluent (again generalising) contenders. Anyway, the link is above you can have a good time looking at their plans. Where are ones with a scarlet tinge to their posters?

I know who I am voting for; I know who shares my interests and I know who has helped my community, that's what matters to me. In any case, I still believe we are over governed, over administered and it ain't getting any better - my views are well documented!

No comments:

Post a Comment